Wednesday, January 3, 2018

"Bossypants" by Tina Fey

Genre: Nonfiction/ Autobiography
Format: Kindle
Publication: April 2011
Cover Rating: 2/5 Stars

From Goodreads: Before Liz Lemon, before "Weekend Update," before "Sarah Palin," Tina Fey was just a young girl with a dream: a recurring stress dream that she was being chased through a local airport by her middle-school gym teacher. She also had a dream that one day she would be a comedian on TV.

She has seen both these dreams come true.

At last, Tina Fey's story can be told. From her youthful days as a vicious nerd to her tour of duty on Saturday Night Live; from her passionately halfhearted pursuit of physical beauty to her life as a mother eating things off the floor; from her one-sided college romance to her nearly fatal honeymoon—from the beginning of this paragraph to this final sentence.

Tina Fey reveals all, and proves what we've all suspected: you're no one until someone calls you bossy.

My Thoughts: Let me start off by saying I'm not some huge Tina Fey fan. I liked her on SNL and of course Mean Girls is a national treasure, but other than that I haven't really followed anything that she's done. I've never watched 30 Rock or really any other movie that she's been in. But I was in the mood to read some nonfiction and after reading "A Note From the Author" at the beginning of this book and really laughing out loud I decided to give it a shot.

I'm not really sure what I was expecting from Bossypants. Humor obviously, but I also expected something with more substance than what I got. The book IS funny. I laughed out loud so many times while reading it that my husband had to come in and ask me what I was giggling about. But the parts in between the funny bits? It wasn't really anything interesting or that I cared to know about. Maybe if I was some superfan of hers I would have enjoyed it more, but to me it was just kind of... meh. If Tina fey made one of those bathroom joke books, I'd read it because I do think she is funny. Or maybe if she even wrote a fiction novel (since she was the screen writer for Mean Girls). But in all honesty, this was just boring.

My Rating: 2/5 Stars


Post a Comment

Please be aware this site is a SPOILER FREE zone unless otherwise stated in the review.

© Whimsically Bookish. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.